Click photo to see a gallery view of treats.
PANETTONE GABRIELE RIVA
- 2 cups peeled, cored, pureed and drained Granny Smith apples
- 4 cups high-gluten flour, plus more as needed
- 2 cups sparkling water
- Flat water, as needed
In a large bowl, mix together apple, flour and sparkling water until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place for 48 hours.
Weigh dough and discard 2/3 of it. Return remaining third to large bowl. Add an equal amount of flour and half the dough's weight in flat water, mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 4 hours.
Weigh dough again and return to bowl. Add an equal amount of flour and half of the dough's weight in flat water, mix to combine. Repeat process every four hours until the mixture is able to triple in volume in only 4 hours. This will take at least one month.
The First Dough
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 18 medium egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon Yeast Starter
- 2½ cups plus 1½ teaspoons high-gluten flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons and ½ teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
The Second Dough
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon high-gluten flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 3 medium egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 3 tablespoons plus 1½ teaspoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups candied orange and lemon peel, chopped
- 1½ cups sultana raisins
- ¼ cup Marcona almonds, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup blanched hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons pearl sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 3½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 medium egg whites, room temperature
- Roasted almonds, for garnish
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Make the first dough
In bowl of electric mixer, stir together sugar and ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water. Fit mixer with dough hook attachment and add egg yolks to bowl; mix to combine.
Add yeast starter in tablespoon-size pieces, mixing well after each addition; continue mixing 2 to 3 minutes more.
Add both flours and mix until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Transfer dough to large buttered bowl. Brush top of dough with olive oil and let stand in warm place until tripled in size, about 15 hours.
Make second dough
Transfer dough to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with dough hook attachment. With the mixer on medium speed, slowly add both flours. Mix until well combined, about 10 minutes.
Add salt and mix for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon sugar; mix until well combined. Repeat process two times with remaining egg yolks and sugar. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into a small bowl; add butter and mix to combine. Increase mixer speed and add butter mixture gradually, mixing well after each addition. Continue mixing until dough is smooth and glossy, 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in candied orange peel and raisins. With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in 2½ teaspoons water; mix until water is fully incorporated. Let dough rest in bowl for 10 minutes.
Turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 4 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round and let stand 30 minutes. Transfer each piece of dough to a 5¼ x 3 ¾-inch Panettone paper mold. Loosely cover each piece of dough with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place until dough reaches the top of the mold, 7 to 8 hours.
To make the crust
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place almonds, hazelnuts, 1/3 cup pearl sugar and cornstarch in the bowl of a food processor; process until powdery. With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in eggs whites.
Transfer mixture to a disposable pastry bag; snip ¼-inch opening from the bottom. Pipe mixture over the top of each Panettone leaving about a 1½-inch perimeter; sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons pearl sugar. Garnish each with 6 to 8 roasted almonds and dust with confectioners' sugar.
Place Panettone on a baking sheet and transfer to oven; bake until dark brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove Panettone from baking sheet. Insert two or three 8-to-12-inch knitting needles through the bottom half of each Panettone and suspend each upside down between two boxes for 6 hours before serving.
Makes 4 cakes.